Sunday 17 August 2014

Kick starting a lifestyle change...finding motivation


Today's post is something a little different and a bit more personal. A few months back I decided to make some lifestyle changes. It was time to get fit and change my diet, with the aim was to lead a more healthy and happier life in general. After being stuck in a bit of a rut due to unemployment and other personal reasons, I knew I had to start making some changes, but lacked motivation. 

I will be doing some further posts on how I began to make those initial changes and tips for keeping it up, however I wanted to focus this post on the motivation side. If I had a penny for the amount of times I said I was going to diet/eating less junk food/stick to an exercise regime and then crack after a few days, I would be a very rich girl! This time was different. It was a lifestyle change, NOT a diet that I knew I would struggle to maintain in the long run. 

My initial motivation came from my brother, who has over the past year, been working out regularly and increasing his fitness levels alongside having an extremely regimented diet. Now I may not and most probably never will be at his level of dedication and fitness, but I found that even just having someone in the household with that outlook really gave me the push I needed. Having a family member or friend joining you on your journey will definitely give you extra motivation. I dusted off the weights, became best friends with Jillian Michaels (30 day shread- enough said), and began researching healthier and cleaner food options that I could introduce into my diet. 

Do you have a certain goal weight you want to achieve? Is there a particular occasion you want to look extra toned for? Or similarly to me, is it just a general lifestyle change you wish to implement? Even if something like treating yourself to a new pair of trainers gives you that final push of motivation, then go for it! I picked up these Nike ones in the Asos sale recently after feeling a little sluggish, and they have been a great pick me up to get back on track. 

Bite the bullet and make that change, because it will honestly be the best thing you ever do.
x

15 comments:

  1. Well done for finding the motivation. When I was unemployed, I got into a similar rut. Now I've got a full-time job I feel to tired to exercise! What a dilemma! But I'm definitely going to start swimming again soon, I love it and it is good for me!

    Owl Girl | A London lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to live a more healthy lifestyle at the moment too. Not just to loose a bit of weight but I think it's important to refresh my body with exercise and not feed it junk! Great post (also I so blandly want a pair of Nike roshe runs) Xx

    Vividlondon.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to make a list and try to complete it every year, and thats rocks :)
    I follow you right now via google friend, visit my blog and follow back if you like it? :) www.kelataconea.com
    Kisses from Spain, Kela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, I need to really clean up my diet but it's so hard.

    I am hosting a POLAROID CAMERA GIVEAWAY on my blog if you wanted to join :)

    www.kindoflovely.com || AUS Fashion/Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  5. adore this post - i really need to make a change with my diet, i go through phases of being fine and then having one too many bad meals!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com // blog sale

    ps. win raybans and beauty goodies worth £300 on my blog! click here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome your sibling is such a motivation, I occasionally get really motivated in terms of fitness but it never seems to last! xx

    ☾ Liquorice Pearls ☾

    ReplyDelete
  7. the colour is stunning! LOVE

    x Maria
    Have a look at my newest Outfitpost
    featuring the perfect sandals and let me know what you think about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful trainers, love the neon colour

    www.kcwong1.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was about to go for a run … This is helping. I'm jumping into my trainers as I type ;)

    Feathers and Brushes | Swiss | Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Orange is my favourite colour so I LOVE these :D X
    thefashion-junkie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck! I really need to find some motivation for generally being healthier too. This post was a great start :)

    Sam | Tiny Paint Pot xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need some motivation...i've become so lazy this summer! x

    Beauty Soup || UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently start exercise routine too. A bit hard at the beginning but so proud when I can see some changes. Love this post. Anyway, I just found your blog and really like it! Would you like to follow each other to stay in touch? Let me know :) xx

    Kiss me Sunday // Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great post, it's super tricky to start off with, but once the motivation kicks in it's trickier to stop! Good luck :)

    //teandtwosugars.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Templates made by pipdig